ROLL OF HONOUR – In 2014 Community Volunteers under the project team leader, Stuart Duncan were awarded a grant by the Heritage Lottery Fund to research Storrington’s Roll of Honour to mark the centenary of the First World War.
The unveiling in August 1917
Unveiled in 1917 by sisters Mrs Adela Powell (nee Petre) and Miss Maude Petre the panel was installed on the wall of the Assembly Rooms, which adjoined the White Horse Hotel in the High Street. A local artist, Paul Hardy, painted the representation of St George in armour and it contained the names of those from the village or associated with it, and former students from the “College” in Church Street, two further panels were later added by 1919.
Some years later the panels were removed and lost until 2013 when two of the panels were re discovered through Horsham Museum.
Funding was sourced through the Heritage Lottery Fund to restore the delicate paintings and preserve the history of the Roll of Honour for Storrington. Research was carried on each casualty and the third panel was recreated in a likeness by another local artist Dennis Lascelles with the names researched that were not already on the other two panels.
An exhibition was held in November at the Old School of the research found on the project. http://www.westsussextoday.co.uk/news/roll-of-honour-restored-to-original-site-1-6424827
The original Roll of Honour panels now hang in the Storrington and District Museum and copies can be found above the book of Remembrance in St Mary’s church Storrington.
The Roll of Honour was reinstated to its former position in the High Street at a ceremony held on Tuesday 11th November at 11am, 2014.
The Original press release
The “College” in Church Street
Did you know that Storrington had a Military College in Church Street, founded in 1871 by the Rector; the Rev. George Faithfull?
The Great War claimed many of the pupils and some were added to the centre panel of Paul Hardy’s Roll of Honour.
A Chapel was dedicated in 1918 but when the College closed in 1931 the furnishings were transferred to Chichester Cathedral.
Webpage details courtesy of the Storrington Local History Group